Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Six Ways to Jump-Start Your Day

Can't get motivated in the morning? Try these tips from Open Loops, one of the better GTD blogs ("Getting Things Done") out there:

  • Use a light producing alarm clock – I purchased an alarm clock that begins to flash a pulsating light in the room 4 minutes prior to the set time.  I find that I’m usually waking up before the audible alarm rings.


  • Put the alarm clock on the other side of the room – Make it so that you have to get up to turn it off.


  • Start the day with protein – Bob Arnott, in his book, The Biology of Success, advocates states that the intake of protein helps to jump start the body in the morning.  He stated that a quick protein drink, a short exercise period, then a breakfast started his day.  A quick trip to my local GNC store resulted in my purchase of a vanilla flavored protein drink.  I couldn’t believe it.  It’s like someone turns a switch on inside my head.  Just a minute or two after I drink it, the sleepiness is gone and I’m thinking clearly.


  • Turn up the lights – A Harvard study concluded that there is a link between light exposure and the part of the brain that is thought to control attention focus and energy production.  So, turn on the lights…all of them:  Bedroom light, bathroom light, hall light, kitchen light, and living room light. 


  • Get at least five minutes of physical activity – My choice is jumping rope.  Gets the blood flowing.  Jump starts (pun intended) the metabolism.


  • Eat a healthy low-fat, high-fiber breakfastFiber One is a great choice as it has the highest fiber content of any other cereal.
Read more from Open Loops...


By the way, I'm also a big fan of 43 Folders!

Link via del.icio.us.